Navigate Up
Sign In
User Login

  

Skip Navigation LinksMidland County > Departments > Public Library > History

‚Äč

1903:
The Midland Library Association applied for a charter. The Association purchased lots at the corner of West Wall & Colorado Streets.
1928:
A petition to convert the library to a County library was presented to the Commissioners Court. The Court accepted and the library was turned over to the County.
1929:
Books belonging to the Association were given to the County; the library was moved into the then new courthouse.
1935:
The Petroleum Department was established by the West Texas Geological Society.
1939:
First Interlibrary Loans.
1950:
The Altrusa Club adopted the Library as a long term project and obtained a charter for a Friends of the Library organization.
1955:
Evening hours were added for the first time. The Library remained open until 9 p.m. each Wednesday.
1956:
Ranchers Sam Preston and Forrest King invited 30 ranchers and property owners and the Commissioner's Court to a breakfast in Hotel Scharbauer to discuss current needs of the County, including the Library. At the close of the breakfast, J.E. "Bob" Hill acted as spokesman for the group which he called "the old hardheads" and urged the Court to "go first class" in building the new Library. That afternoon the Court asked the Library Planning Committee to determine what a "First Class" Library would be. The County and City cooperated in buying land south of the proposed site to be used as parking for the Library.

Also in that year, the Permian Basin Geophysical Society and Permian Basin chapter of AIME joined West Texas Geological Society to expand the Petroleum Library. Their contributions permitted acquiring the professional journals of all three groups.

The City and County contributed equally to buy a site for a parking lot for the new library.
1958:
The building was completed and opened to the Public on July 30.
1963:
The City agreed to take over fire protection outside the City limits in return for the County's assuming full financial operation of the Library.
1968:
The DAR and members of the Permian Basin Genealogical Society began contributing to a Genealogical Collection. The Midland Genealogical Society, formed later, continues to add materials to the collection. Also this year was the first Friends of the Library Book Sale.
1976:
The County purchased the American Legion property next door for future expansion of the Library.
1985:
The Midland Centennial Branch Library was opened.
1987:
The genealogical collection was named the John and Rosalind Redfern Genealogical Research Center in reflection of past and continued support.
1990:
The Friends presented the Commissioners Court a petition with 2413 signatures calling for library expansion.
1990:
The Commissioners Court purchased 51,000 square feet of land to serve as a new parking lot as the new library addition was built on the old parking lot.
2003:
It was decided to re-locate the Centennial Branch Library to the Imperial Shopping Center.
2004:
The library celebrated its 100th Anniversary.