Navigate Up
Sign In
User Login


Skip Navigation LinksMidland County > Departments > Tax Office > Answers


Q:    How do I register and title a motorcycle?
Follow the same procedures as with any motor vehicle.
Q:    How do I contact the Midland County Tax Office?
Midland County Tax Office
P.O. Box 712
Midland, Texas 79702
(432) 688-4810
 Q:   Can I download forms that pertain to motor vehicle registration and titles?
Yes, we have the most-requested forms available for downloading on our Forms Page. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer in order to view the documents. Link to Adobe on this page, and from there you can download Acrobat Reader.
Q:    I am disabled and would like to obtain license plates with the international symbol of access. What should I do?
Texas law allows disabled residents to obtain either a) one set of plates with the international symbol of access plus one placard, or b) two placards. A placard may be displayed in any vehicle being used to transport the disabled person. If the vehicle does not have disabled-person license plates, the law requires that the placard be displayed on the rear-view mirror whenever the vehicle is parked in a disabled-person parking space. A disability statement form is available from the Midland County Tax office. The applicant's physician must complete the form, or provide a written prescription. Placards must be renewed every four years. There is a $1.00 processing fee if done through the mail for a set of disabled-person license plates, if the registration is current. Additional sets of disabled person plates may be obtained for vehicles specially equipped for operation by a person who has lost the use of one or both legs.
For more information on disabled person placards and license plates, please see the Frequently Asked Questions About Disabled Person Placards/License Plates provided by the Texas Department of Transportation.
Q:   What should I do if my license plates are damaged or stolen, or I need to replace a windshield validation sticker?
You can obtain replacement plates or validation stickers at the Midland County Tax Office. If your plates are damaged or you are only missing one plate, you will need to bring in the old or the remaining license plate(s). You must also bring in your current registration receipt and fill out a replacement affidavit. There will be a $6.30 fee.
Q:   Is insurance required to purchase a one-trip or 30-day permit?


Yes, insurance must be on the vehicle the permit is for.


 Q.   How do I obtain personalized license plates or other special plates?


You may obtain an Application for Personalized License Plates (VTR 35a) from the Midland County Tax Office or any VTR Regional Office. There is a charge in addition to the regular registration fee. The amount charged for personalized and special plates varies according to the type ordered. In some cases, the applicant must meet eligibility requirements before applying for special plates. Follow the instructions on the forms. See the Special License Plates Listing for pictures of the specialty plates that are available in Texas. 
Q:    I lost my title. How do I get a duplicate?
Complete the Application for Certified Copy of Title (Form 34), which is available at any Midland County Tax Office. The form must be signed by the registered owner(s) or lien holder. Mail the form and the $2 fee (no cash) to the address shown on the bottom of the form. For same-day service, an owner, lien holder, or verified agent may apply at a VTR Regional Office, and pay a $5.45 fee. These applicants must provide valid personal identification that includes a photograph issued by an agency of the State of Texas or the United States government. If a person is acting as an agent, he or she must provide proof, verifiable by telephone, that he or she is authorized to pick up the copy of the title. Otherwise, the application will be held for four days before the copy is issued and mailed.
Q:    I just sold a car. How do I transfer the title?
The seller must write the purchaser's name and address, the odometer reading and date of sale in the title assignment. Purchaser and seller must each sign both the title and the title application form (Form 130-U). Both signed documents must be given to the purchaser, along with the registration receipt. The purchaser must then go to the Midland County Tax Office and file the title application. Proof of current insurance will be required. The fee is $28, plus motor-vehicle sales tax (6.25 percent). There is also a $2.50 transfer of registration fee. If the license is not current, there may be a registration fee. When you purchase a vehicle from a licensed Texas dealer located in Midland County, the dealer is required to complete all the paperwork necessary to title and register the vehicle in your name. The dealer is also required to file the documents with the Midland County Tax Office within 30 business days of the date you purchased the vehicle.
Q:    I applied for a title and neither my lien holder nor I have received it yet.
Customers should receive their titles within three weeks from the date the application was filed. Contact the Midland County Tax Office and ask to have the record checked.
Q:    Why does the state show a lien on my car if I paid it off?
This occurs if you have not advised the State of Texas that your lien has been satisfied. To remove the lien information, fill out a Title Application Form (130-U). Submit the application, title and a release of lien to the Midland County Tax Office. The fee for this service is $28.00. The State of Texas will mail a title to you that does not show a lien.
Q:    What is required to correct an error in the odometer reading after the title has been issued?
A statement of fact will be required. This statement must address the discrepancy and must be acknowledged by both the seller and the buyer involved in the transaction in which the error was made.
Q:    If my odometer reading is not available, what am I required to enter on the Odometer Disclosure Statement?
The Odometer Disclosure Statement should contain an explanation from the seller as to why a mileage reading is not available. If there is a reading of any sort displayed on the odometer, this reading must be disclosed, and an indication as to whether the mileage is actual, not actual, or exceeds mechanical limits must be made.
Q:    I sold my vehicle several months ago, but the registration and title have not been changed to reflect the new owner's name and address. I'm getting notices about parking tickets involving that vehicle and the registration renewal notice has also come to me. What can I do?
It is likely the new owner has not transferred title into his or her name. Contact the Midland County Tax Office and fill out the Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346)
Or write a letter to:
Texas Department of Transportation
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
Attention: Customer Information Services Branch
Austin, TX 78779-0001
Your letter must provide the vehicle description (year, make, vehicle identification number), date of sale, and purchaser's name and address. Upon receipt of the fee and the form or letter, the State will place a notation on the motor vehicle record stating that the vehicle has been transferred. The fee for this service is five dollars ($5.00). Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation.
Q:    My title was issued incorrectly. What should I do?
Contact the Midland County Tax Office and we'll help you resolve the problem.
Q:    Can a certificate of title be issued to a vehicle, which is displaying $6.00 Machinery License Plates?
No.  Vehicles issued the $6.00 distinguishing Machinery License Plate cannot be titled under the Certificate of Title Act.
Q:    How do I register and title a rebuilt/salvage vehicle?
For information about rebuilt and salvage vehicles, contact our office via e-mail or call us at (432) 688-4810.
Q:    Why can it be difficult to change a vehicle title to my name?
The title law protects ownership rights for more than 15 million vehicles in Texas. Therefore, the statutes require transfer of ownership by proper execution of certain ownership documents. When these specific documents are incomplete or unavailable, Texas statutes require that the applicant apply for a Tax Collector's hearing or bonded title.



Q.  How do I renew my registration online?
You can renew your registration online!  Go to the Texas Online Web Site where you may renew your motor vehicle registration online.
Q.  How do I renew my registration by mail?
Follow the instructions on the renewal notice.  Send the renewal notice, registration fee and all requested information to the Midland County Tax Office. Add an additional $1 for the processing and mailing fee. Include a photocopy of your current insurance card to show proof of financial responsibility.  Please make your check payable to Kathy Reeves.  Our mailing address is:
Karen Hood
Tax Assessor-Collector
P.O. Box 712
Midland, Texas 79702

Q:    I just moved to Texas. How do I register my vehicle?
Before it can be registered, your vehicle must pass a State of Texas vehicle safety inspection and a visual verification of the vehicle identification number. These services are available at state-approved Safety Inspection Stations. If you are leasing the vehicle you must have the vehicle inspected in Texas.
The inspection facility will provide you with a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30-A). You must submit this form to the Midland County Tax Office along with an Application for Certificate of Title. You must also submit your out-of-state title, or out-of-state registration, with the signed Application. If your vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement and a copy of the bill of sale through which the leasing company purchased the vehicle will be required. A New Resident Fee of $90.00 will be due. Title and registration fees are due at the time the application for title is made. You may do this in person at the Midland County Tax Office or by mail.
State law requires valid proof of insurance. A photocopy of your liability insurance information must include:
• Name of insurer
• Insurance policy number and policy period
• Name/address of each insured
• VIN #, Make and model of the vehicle(s) being registered
Texas has a mandatory automobile liability insurance and financial responsibility law that requires a vehicle owner/operator, when involved in an accident in which personal injury, death, or property damage of $1,000 or more occurs, to show proof of the person’s ability to respond to liability for damages when there is a reasonable probability of a judgment in the following amounts:
1.  $30,000 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident;
2.  $60,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one person;
3.  $25,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

Q:    For how long may a new Texas resident operate his or her vehicle in this state while displaying current out-of-state license plates?
He or she can operate the vehicle for a period of thirty days after establishing residence or entering gainful employment, after which time the vehicle must be registered in Texas.
Q:    I have not received my registration renewal notice. What do I do?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed at the Midland County Tax, by using your license receipt from the previous year, the title, or the license plate number along with proof of insurance and identification. Your registration can be verified electronically by Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or license plate number. The Department of Transportation can also mail you another renewal notice, depending on the amount of time remaining before your registration expires. Just call the Midland County Tax Office (432) 688-4810 and we'll help you correct the problem.
Q:    Can a vehicle be operated after its registration expires?
Yes. A vehicle may be operated for five days after its registration expires without penalty.