Literary Pumpkin Contest
About the 2020 Contest
This year, the library is getting into the fall spirit by hosting a pumpkin decorating contest. Kids, middle grade children, teens, and adults are invited to decorate a pumpkin like their favorite book character. It’s easy and fun for the whole family! Participants may bring in a decorated pumpkin to either Centennial or the Downtown library and enter it into our contest October 1st – October 23rd.
All entries must be received by 12:00pm the day of October 23rd.
- ABSOLUTELY NO CARVED PUMPKINS! Carved pumpkins rot, attract bugs, and smell. Most importantly, we don’t want a child handling a knife or carving tools. Carved pumpkins will not be entered into the contest and will be sent home. Pumpkins may be painted, hot glued, colored, etc.
- Pumpkins should represent a favorite book character. On the entry form, you must write the title and author of the book. All designs must be family-friendly.
- This is a home project. Participants should do most of the work themselves, with only some assistance, for fair judging in their respective category.
- Please drop off your pumpkins and contest entry forms to the Youth Services help desk at either Downtown or Centennial beginning October 1st, 2020.
- Do not write your name anywhere on the pumpkin. When you bring your pumpkin and entry form to Youth Services staff, they will record the information so that each pumpkin can be properly identified.
- Pumpkins will be judged according to the following categories:
- Kids (Age 4-7)
- Middle Grade (Age 8-12)
- Teens (Age 13-17)
- Adults (Age 18+)
- Final judging will be conducted on October 23rd. Winners will be announced LIVE on Midland County Public Libraries’ Facebook October 24th at 4pm.
- All pumpkins will need to be picked up on Monday, October 26th at your drop-off location.
- Any remaining pumpkins will be discarded.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category.
How to enter
To enter the 2020 Literary Pumpkin Contest, download and print this entry form. Bring your entry form along with your pumpkin to either library location's Youth Services desk beginning Thursday, October 1st.