The Courthouse Security section for Midland County Sheriff's Office is led by Lieutenant Alma Acosta. The section has ten deputies, one sergeant, and one secretary.
Parking for the Courthouse
- Parking lot "A" which is adjacent to the courthouse is for visitors and the handicap.
- Parking lot "B" is reserved for elected officials and jurors, and is located on northwest corner of Michigan and Main Streets.
- Parking lot "C" is for Additional Juror Parking and is located on the northeast corner of Michigan and Main Streets.
- Parking lot "D" is for Employee Parking and is located on the southeast corner of Michigan and Main Streets.
- Parking lot "E" is for additional parking and is located on the northwest corner of Michigan and Colorado Streets.
- The Courthouse and grounds have been declared as a Tobacco Free Campus by the Commissioner's Court. A designated smoking area is located on the south side of parking lot "B."
Entering the Courthouse
There is one entrance in which the public can access the courthouse. This entrance is the front entrance (Main, Tennessee and Loraine Streets). This entrance is located on the ground floor (1st floor) of the courthouse.
Procedures to Expect When Entering Courthouse
All persons entering the courthouse will be required to proceed through a metal detector to ensure they are not carrying any weapons or contraband on their person that can be perceived as a weapon. If the metal detector alerts while walking through, you will be required to step forward to have a visual inspection conducted and to be checked once again with a hand held metal detector. All persons will be required to place all bags, purses, briefcases and other such items through an x-ray inspection system to be scanned to insure no weapon(s) or contraband are being brought into the courthouse. Any weapons, or contraband that are located on an individual will be seized and the subject will face possible legal action.
Items Considered as Weapons / Contraband & Not Permitted into the Courthouse
- Alcoholic beverages
- Brass knuckles
- Drug paraphernalia
- Glass bottles containing liquids
- Illegal drugs
- Tools (screwdrivers, ice picks etc.)
- Exception: Handicap persons in wheelchairs who may have their tools attached to the wheelchair.
- Toy guns which give the appearance of being real
Other items not listed may be scrutinized by security and a determination will be made by a supervisor as whether or not to allow such items in the courthouse.
The mission of the Courthouse Security Office is to provide a safe environment for Judges, employees and all visitors coming into the Midland County Courthouse. The Midland County Sheriff's Office shall maintain the security of the courthouse in order to protect the integrity of court procedures, to ensure the rights of individuals before it, to deter those who would take violent action against the participants in court proceedings, and to sustain the decorum of the courthouse.
It is the goal of the Midland County Sheriff's Office for all persons visiting the Midland County Courthouse to have a safe and enjoyable experience while conducting their business. In order to accomplish this, we request individuals adhere to the procedures outlined above.