Attorney Information

All Orders for hearing must have the Style of the Case.

Requesting a Transcript

  • Email Melissa Crooks, the official Court Reporter of the 142nd District Court or call her at 432-688-4376 with the cause number, style of the case, and the date of hearing.
  • The Court Reporter will then “reply” with a total dollar amount to be paid by cash, money order, cashier’s check, or check at the discretion of the Court Reporter.

Requesting a Hearing

  • File a Motion, including a reasonable time estimate, and the Court will set the hearing on the calendar as soon as possible.
  • If the hearing set by the Court creates a scheduling problem for counsel, counsel should confer and arrive at two possible settings, including a reasonable time estimate.
  • Once the parties have agreed to dates and times, email the Court Coordinator with the agreed dates and times and attach an Order Setting Hearing, including email addresses after the Judges Signature Line. Make sure you copy all parties on the email with the agreed setting. Please note: this Court does not accept ‘Notices of Hearings’ only Orders.

Requesting a Continuance or Resetting

  • Prior to contacting the Court, both parties must confer with each other in order to avoid unnecessary court time.
  • If both parties are in agreement, please file your agreed motion and submit an agreed order for the Judges approval.
  • While motions are preferred, a request for a one week reset of a plea deadline may be handled by email, provided the attorney makes a request and provides the required order via email to the Court Office.

Requesting a Continuance on a Criminal Jury Trial

Please file a motion and it will either be set for a hearing or granted at the Court’s discretion.

Marking Exhibits

  • Prior to trial, mark all exhibits with sequential numbers beginning with 1, 2, 3, and so on. Do not use alphabet letters.
  • Prior to trial, provide a list of numbered exhibits to the Court Reporter.

Jury/Non-Jury Charge

Prior to trial, email your proposed or suggested charge to the Court Coordinator in Word form.