Though the library makes every effort to offer this service, please understand that we can only accommodate test takers at times when our staff is available.
- Services are free of charge, except where postage is necessary.
- Exam proctoring will be available only during the hours that there are at least two fulltime staff members in the Genealogy Division.
- Exam-taking patrons will be responsible for all expenses connected with their exam(s).
- Printed instructions that are received with the exam will be followed.
- We may not be able to accommodate exam-takers on short notice. Please plan on scheduling at least 48 hours (excluding Sunday hours) before your desired time.
The Library Will
- Receive exams for students, provide a library staff member to set up the exam situation and sign the appropriate paperwork.
- Call student upon receipt of exam. It is then the responsibility of the student to set up an appointment to take the exam. Examinations should be sent to the library, attention Genealogy Clerk and in a sealed envelope.
- Make student aware of any specific institutional guidelines (no notes, no open books, calculator or computer permitted).
- Send the completed examination back to the institution or association, but postage must be prepaid by the institution or by the student.
- Scan and email forms and exams when available and necessary.
The Library Cannot
- Provide a locked or secure place for the exam.
- Provide a quiet study room for exam taking.
- Provide a librarian to monitor the exam taking, one-on-one.
- Provide proctoring for large groups of students.
- Mail the completed exam at times other than the regular library mailing.
The Student Will
- Allow sufficient time to take the examination before the postmark deadline that has been established by the institution or association. The library will hold exams for sixty days or the exam's stated deadline. If the student does not pick up the exam by that time, the exam will be returned to the institution or association.
- Come prepared with the necessary or required supplies to take the examination.
- Provide postage in the event that the institution has not enclosed a return, postpaid envelope.
- Allow sufficient return time for the normal library mailing schedule of Monday through Friday.
- Provide notice of late arrival or the need to reschedule. Multiple "no-shows" will result in a month-long ban on proctoring service.